Website terms and conditions template: marketplace for goods; accessed through a site or by app; buyer side
- Attorney approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this terms and conditions document
Your website is an interface for buyers and sellers of any goods. Goods may be ordered via a smartphone, tablet or any other mobile device. You own or have a licence to use a software “app” which provides the interface facility.
This website terms and conditions template sets out the relationship between your business and buyers who use your website to buy. The goods bought and sold could be anything. We have provided for basic contract procedures, but delivery information must come from the seller as it will not be the same for a tee shirt as for an item of industrial plant.
You might specialise in one product (the template document assumes tee shirts), or you could sell a wide range of products. You do not need to have more than one seller client but we assume that you will. Most of your sellers probably use your services because they do not have an internet facility for taking money or because your marketing service is better than they could achieve. You are simply marketing and collecting money.
Because each marketplace website has its own business model, we provide separate agreements for terms with buyers and sellers. You should therefore pair this document with the most suitable seller side marketplace T&C document we offer. See below.
Is this template suitable for your website?
This template is for any website that creates a marketplace where goods are sold. It does not matter what type of experience that may be.
This template suits a site that:
- sells goods anywhere in the World;
- connects buyers with sellers;
- provides payment facilities, collect taxes and fees and reimburse the seller the net sales value;
- has sellers that pay you either by commission or by a transaction fee;
- either allows sellers to upload their own product pages or product advertisements OR instructs you to do that for them;
- provides a marketing service to sellers;
- has either regular sellers (for example, ones that operate their business from your site), or allows one-off sales.
The benefit of clear terms and conditions
Website terms and conditions are probably the best example of a legal document where use of plain language strengthens the legal effect of the document. If a dispute should arise, it would be hard for a user of your site to claim that he did not understand, even if English is not his first language.
Using this document on your website will help you to:
- set out clearly how your business works and how buyers should act and behave;
- ensure that sellers and buyers receive the quality of service that you aim to provide;
- present a professional image of your business. Our use of plain language helps ensure that sellers do not feel intimidated by overly formal or legalistic language;
- prevent misunderstandings and make solving disputes easier;
- protect your website from misuse (we include paragraphs that set out exactly how buyers can interact with your website, and what they cannot do);
- protect your business from complaints about content that your buyers posted - particularly important if buyers can post product information or interact with sellers without you actively monitoring every post or message.
This document provides only the terms between you and your buyers. You will need a matching document that regulates the relationship with sellers.
The most appropriate “twin” for this document is Website terms and conditions template: marketplace for goods; accessed through a site or by app; seller side, sells Services via App, Seller Side.
If you are in any doubt as to which T&C template you should choose, please contact us.
The law in this document
The law in these T&C is largely common law that deals with the basics of contracts: offer, acceptance, price and payment, provision of service, liabilities and risk. By and large, you can set the terms you want, particularly the commercial ones. The document should be edited so that it reflects exactly how your business works. Our guidance notes will tell you what you can change safely, and what we don't advise changing.
This template allows you to comply with the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 2002the Consumer Protection Act 2008, and other consumer protection legislation allowing your sellers to sell to businesses or consumers.
Contents of this terms and conditions
This terms and conditions template includes provisions that cover both the relationship between the seller and the buyer and the relationship between your business and the buyer.
It includes terms relating to:
- Definitions and interpretation
- Basis of contract between your business and the buyer
- Responsibility of the buyer to provide accurate personal information to you
- The buying procedure
- Optional guarantee by you
- Matters of payment
- Extensive options for re-assurance to customers that you will take care of data
- Option for consumer rights information
- Defects and returns
- Handling your personal data and credit card
- Very extensive options as to what a buyer may or may not do on your website.
- Removal of offensive content
- Licence to use your app
- Protection of copyright and other intellectual property rights
- Interruption to service
- Disclaimers and limitation of liability
- Miscellaneous legal matters to protect your business
Over 3,700 words of drafting notes to help you.
This document was written by an attorney for Net Lawman. It complies with current South African law.
"Thank you for having the Lodger Document available.
I searched the internet high and low.
It is simple to understand and complete and, Great Value!
I will recommend your service to whomever is looking for a service such as this."Sharon Ecob
"...Yes very useful. I understand the terminology etc as I've seen a fair few legal docs before. Notes are very helpful. Gives me some base insight without the expense of a solicitor!"John K
"I appreciate your patience. I have to say though it took me a while (I had almost given up) to come across your internet site, but I was quite impressed with the manoverabilty of the site itself and the services it offers. Normally I am very cautious about internet services and am pleasantly impressed by you professional response. Without doubt I will defintely be recommending yourselves to others."Razwana