Sponsorship agreement: single event
This event sponsorship agreement sets out the commercial deal between an event organiser and a sponsor. It also provides for practical arrangements,such as rights of access prior to the event for the sponsor to setup their materials, use of intellectual property by the sponsor in marketing, dedicated parking on the day for the sponsor's guests and provision of corporate hospitality areas.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this event sponsorship agreement
This agreement is very flexible in the terms between the parties. We suggest common rights to be granted to the sponsor, such as advertising, product placement and preferential event access, hosting of corporate hospitality functions, and promotion on television or radio. These suggestions can be replaced or supplemented by those rights that you decide upon.
The agreement also covers a number of practical considerations, such as the obligation of the organiser to ensure that the sponsor is able to setup advertising and stalls and has access to parking on the day.
The law in this agreement
The law in this document is common law, allowing you to set out whatever arrangement you choose to make.
It includes a number of legal matters to the advantage of both sides that might be left out of less comprehensive agreements, such as protection of intellectual property, assignment and rights to renew.
When to use this event sponsorship agreement
This event sponsorship agreement could be used for a diverse range of one-off events, from a single sports competition, where the sponsor receives advertising rights and a corporate hospitality suite in return for financial support, to a home improvements exhibition, where the sponsor receives additional or alternative rights such as the right to sell products from a stand or the right to advertise their status as a sponsor of the event on marketing material.
This document could be used by either the organiser or the sponsor, potentially at first to explore the deal that could be made, and then as the legal contract. Either party could use it to set out their terms and conditions on a "take it or leave it" basis, or as a starting point for negotiations.
The document is suitable for:
- one-off events (although it also covers the right of renewal at subsequent events, for example, the next year)
- sporting events
- shows (for example concerts and stage productions)
- fairs and exhibitions
We have another agreement that may be more suitable if the sponsor is sponsoring multiple events or a series (for example, a tournament or a tour of shows to different locations). See Event sponsorship agreement: tournament, league or series.
Agreement features and contents
- Warranties for authority
- Relationship of parties
- Entire agreement
- The venue owner
- Granting of sponsorship rights
- Sponsorship fee and payment
- Sponsorship rights granted
- Joint obligations
- Obligations of the sponsor
- Obligations of the organiser
- Protection of intellectual property of organiser: limits the sponsor as to how he uses the intellectual property of the event organiser in his own promotional material
- Right to renew: a valuable provision for the sponsor if the event turns out to be more successful than anticipated
- Consequences of termination
- Assignment: whether either side can transfer the rights to another party
- Miscellaneous matters
- Schedule 1: the event programme
- Schedule 2: corporate hospitality functions
- Schedule 3: services and products that the sponsor may sell at the event
- Schedule 4: Industry sectors, product ranges and countries that the sponsor may promote
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current South Africa law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
"The website is great, the access easy, documents professional. All very smart. Immediately got a good impression of Net Lawman."Hendrik J Pfaff, CFA, Stellenbosch, South Africa
"The document was extremely useful and I shall certainly use your service again."Colin Poole
"Extremely usef ul for practitioners with little experience in this field.