Cohabitation (living together) agreement
- Attorney approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this cohabitation agreement
This cohabitation agreement helps you to work out and set down all the practical arrangements that need to be covered when two people who are neither married nor civil partners, set up house. It helps you to set down all the arrangements that you need, both now and on a future separation.
It does not try to tell you what is best for you, but to steer and guide you into considering and dealing with the most important issues. It covers arrangements about your home, business assets, who owns what, everything about money - and even provisional children arrangements.
This document does not require any particular action after completion. Just print two copies, both of you sign both copies, date both with same date and each keep one. Your completed document is valid and binding at law until you are married or a child is born.
You are bound by it. Use it at any stage of your relationship, before marriage.
However, if you marry or enter a civil union in the future, the status of the document changes. It becomes like a pre-nuptial agreement. The effect is that if you then separate, the court will take this document into account, but will not be bound by it.
Example uses of this document:
- You want to make secure arrangements for when you separate or have children;
- Flatmates setting up new arrangements;
- You want to live together but also stay in control of your own company or business assets.
- How you deal with your house or flat
- Keeping your own business property
- Separate ownership of assets
- Banking and cash arrangements
- Living expenses
- Finance and borrowing
- Children arrangements - now and on termination
- What happens if / when you separate
- Division of capital assets
- What one of you might pay to the other for self and children
- If one of you dies
- Explanatory notes and guidance
This document was written by an attorney for Net Lawman. It complies with current South African law.
"Thank you for having the Lodger Document available.
I searched the internet high and low.
It is simple to understand and complete and, Great Value!
I will recommend your service to whomever is looking for a service such as this."Sharon Ecob
"At least get the background before you see the attorney and it might even be enough."Balefyre (Pty) Ltd
"...Yes very useful. I understand the terminology etc as I've seen a fair few legal docs before. Notes are very helpful. Gives me some base insight without the expense of a solicitor!"John K