Assignment agreement: of music copyright or other IP; cash sale; seller retains right to buy back
- Attorney approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this transfer of rights in music or other IP
This agreement has been drawn for a simple sale of copyright in one or more musical works or songs or lyrics alone. It is drawn as a sale so that the buyer has freedom to deal without the restrictions of licence terms, but provision has also been made for the composer to retain some rights. The retained rights could be any. Geographical territory or specific use would be the most common. If retained rights are more complicated, it would be better to use a licence agreement.
It is based on a sale of music or lyrics, but could also be used for other IP. It protects the interest of the seller without offending or prejudicing the buyer. It is as strong and thorough as documents drawn for more complicated deals.
You may be an individual or working through a company.
The document provides for a right of first refusal if the buyer decides to sell and a procedure to make that work fairly to both sides.
The financial arrangement is a simple cash sale. Both sides are protected by reasonable warranties.
Optionally, the seller can retain rights in certain circumstances or places or events. Conversely, you can limit the rights you sell.
So that you can easily follow the effect of the document, we have given names to the parties and the subject matter.
- Easy to edit (as always with Net Lawman documents)
- Thorough coverage of legal areas
- Practical, alternative business provisions
- No requirement for you to be your own lawyer
Alternatives to this music rights sale agreement
Net Lawman offers around 30 licence agreements and assignments relating to intellectual property in addition to those in website terms and conditions.
You can find the full selection at:
- Basic contracts for creative work
- High level IP licence and sale agreements
- Merchandising agreements
- Assignment, sale and transfer
- IP licences by creator or owner
- Software and other development contracts
Contents of this music sale agreement
Here is a list of the major subjects covered in this agreement.
- Definitions, interpretation and legal matters
- Selected warranties and understandings by both sides
- The assignment deal
- Right for creator / writer / composer to buy back
- Infringement of copyright
- Other matters relating to enforcement and other legal issues
This document was written by an attorney for Net Lawman. It complies with current South African law.
"Thank you for having the Lodger Document available.
I searched the internet high and low.
It is simple to understand and complete and, Great Value!
I will recommend your service to whomever is looking for a service such as this."Sharon Ecob
"I found the documents easy to use and great value. I feel the service is easy to use and good value for money."Sean McNicholas
"...Yes very useful. I understand the terminology etc as I've seen a fair few legal docs before. Notes are very helpful. Gives me some base insight without the expense of a solicitor!"John K